Nevada: Doctor/Health Plan Settle With Infected Hep C Patients
November 18, 2014; Posted by: WeBleed staff
Nevada physician and health care agency settle hepatitis C lawsuit.
A settlement has been reached between a Nevada endocrinologist and patients who contracted hepatitis C in 2007 according to an article by Carri Geer Thevenot in the Las Vegas Review-Journal. In July of 2013, a jury convicted Dr. Dipak Desai of 27 criminal counts related to the hepatitis outbreak in 2007, including second-degree murder in the death of infected patient Rodolfo Meana, 77. He was also sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole after 18 years.
“The parties reached a mutually agreeable settlement that is satisfactory to both sides,” said lawyer Robert Eglet. “The terms of the settlement are confidential.”
Dr. Desai was a central figure in the hepatitis C outbreak as many of the patients he was seeing at his clinics contracted the disease. Last year, a jury ordered Health Plan of Nevada to pay $524 million to three people, two of whom contracted hepatitis C at a facility operated by Desai. Eglet represented two of the plaintiffs and said the recent settlement also resolves an appeal related to the verdict in their case.
Photo Credit – Las Vegas Review-Journal
webleed.org – your source for bleeding news!